Magazine: Gundam Weapons Modeling Masters


I've been really interested in hobby magazines lately; and I've picked up several from different companies over the last year. My favorite is Hobby Japan, and my favorite segment of the magazine is the tutorial series they include. I can't read Japanese, but I've found that often times I don't need to; because the images that accompany  the tutorials provide enough information for me to figure out what's going on. I have found that the tutorials have been very helpful for modding parts, and enhancing the overall look of a kit. 

When I heard that Hobby Japan was releasing a book/magazine that collected some of the more popular tutorials from the last few year I decided to pick one up. 




Gundam Weapons Modeling Masters is softcover, 129 full color pages and features a glossy dust jacket.It's slightly thinner than your average Hobby Japan or Dengeki hobby magazine. 

GWMM features tutorials for the following model kits:



MG RX-0 Unicorn Full Armor
MG RX-93 Nu Ver. Ka
MG RX-0 2 Banshee
MG MSN-06S Sinanju
MG RX 78-2 2.0  Gundam
MG MS-06J 2.0 Zaku 2
MG GN-0000GNHW/7SG 00 Seven Sword/G
MG GNT-0000 00 Quan [t]

The tutorials vary widely in terms of tools required and difficulty. The tutorials are sorted by kit.  


The simplest tutorials cover nub removal, sanding and other beginner level techniques.


The techniques quickly become more advanced and feature topics such: as reshaping part geometry, and enlarging panel. 


Seam line removal and using optional parts is also covered. 



The magazine also touches on advanced techniques like modifying parts, and making cast replacements.




After each kit's tutorial section the magazine will feature photos of the completed kit over 1 or 2 pages. 


Enhancing panel lining detail. 


Simple masking to add additional color detail to parts.




simple decaling tutorial similar to the one featured on my site. 


Many of the images used to show off the kit have been reused from old copies of Hobby Japan. I'm not sure how many are new versus old. 


Occasionally a side by side is featured, and it really shows how modding can create a different look. 


I thought that this was interesting. I guess reverse washing isn't very popular with the Hobby Japan guys. 


This is an interesting way to make spikes pointier. 


They making pla-plating look so easy. 


I hope you enjoyed this quick peak at Gundam Weapons Modeling Masters. 

Comments