1/12 Darth Vader


Kit Talk:


The 1/12 Darth Vader was a quick build to fill the gap between my last commission the MG Ex-S and the next commission the HG G-Self Perfect pack that arrived a few days ago. I snap built this kit about a month ago, I was able to complete the paint in a few nights.

Build & Paint info:

This kit had a few seam lines on the feet and gloves that needed to be fused. Many of the seam lines on the legs and arms align with the crevasse of the ribbed bodysuit; I left these as-is.

I used the following paints:

Helmet, leg armor and anything else glossy: Alcad II Base Black
Bodysuit: Black with a pinch of blue
Cape. tunic and mantel: Black with a pinch of mahogany
Chest protector: Alcad 2 Steel
Buttons and chest controls: Star Bright Silver & clear red, blue or green over silver

My focus on this paint scheme was to create a contrast between the matte leather and the gloss armor. I won't say that this paint scheme is film accurate, but it definitely fits the mental image that I have for Darth Vader.

If you like my work and would like to help me out consider purchasing this and other kits from Amazon using this link or others featured on my site. Every purchase helps me out considerably and it doesn't cost you a dime!

Hit the bump for the full photoshoot!


Photos:










Additional hands for force choking are included



The pauldrons and cape really hamper the kits ability to move  and pose





No, "I" am your father!



The small included base helps keep Vader upright



The chest and belt buttons were the most difficult of the painting process. the chest was completed with a reverse wash, but the buttons on either side of the waist were all hand-painted. 



This kit includes 2 lightsabers, one for hold and one to attach to the waist.



Ensuring the high gloss of the helmet and other armor was imperative to this build.




For those interested this model stands about 2 cm shorter than the average 18 cm 1/100 MG sized Gundam


Comments